Publications and Services
Karlen Communications offers consulting and training for Accessible Document design (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and PDF). as well as strategic planning for organizations implementing inclusion. As someone who believes in the rights of those of us with disabilities, I also consult on creating more inclusive communities with a focus on creating an Global Inclusive Education Standard.
You can purchase the following books written by Karen McCall, available in tagged PDF format. This is the only format available and it is accessible to people using adaptive technology. You do have the ability to print a page, chapter or the entire book if you want for your own use. The purchase of one copy of the book is for individual use only. Multiple copies can be purchased for organizations.
Accessible and Usable PDF Documents: Techniques for Document Authors Fourth Edition
First published in 2005, the fourth edition of this book by Karen McCall provides tips, techniques and information on how to remediate PDF documents to meet compliance standards. The book features step-by-step instructions with images on how to remediate PDF documents to be accessible. Chapters include: Tags Panel, Order Panel and the TouchUp Reading Order tool, Content Panel, Repair Techniques in Acrobat, who are those of us with disabilities, types of adaptive technology, accessible document design basics, accessible fillable forms (including information on form design), AEM Form Designer, Redacted legal content and strategies for end-user testing.
Price: $65.00 USD
The book is a tagged PDF with the ability to print a page, chapter or the entire book.
This is the only publication that PubCom sells. All other publications are $65.00 USD and can only be purchased from me by invoice or PO.
Online and On-Site Training
We no longer do document remediation. Our focus is on training those who will be doing the document remediation.
Karlen Communications offers on-site or web facilitated workshops or seminars on the following topics:
- Working with accessible PDF documents including the use of the PAC checker and PDF/UA compliance.
- Accessible document design for Word and PowerPoint (2010 and 2013).
- Repurposing content. Create it once, use it a lot!
- Web based demonstrations require the client to have a web conferencing tool.
Webinars done for EASI
EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information) and Karen McCall have partnered to present several webinars. If you become a member of EASI you have access to current and past webinar content.
- Accessible Document Design - Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Accessible Form Design and PDFF Document Structure.
- Accessible PDF documents (4 part paid series).
- Overview of Word 2013 accessibility features (1 hour free webinar).
- Implementing PDF/UA (4 part paid series).
- Accessible document design using Word 2010 and one for Word 2013 (1 hour free webinar).
Copyright 2017 by Karen McCall, Karlen Communications. Contact Karlen Communications